Celebrate Ramdan with delicious tasty TAstyyy 6 sweets.
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Hot Water – 1 1/2 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Saffron – a pinch
Nuts (Cashews, Almonds etc) – handful
Dry Fruits (Raisins, dried cranberries etc) – handful
Coconut pieces (or dessicated coconut) – 2 tblsp
Ghee/ Butter – 2 tblsp
Orange Zest – 1/2 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Kesari Powder/ Orange food colour – a pinch
Paneer/ Khoya – 2 tblsp
1. Wash the rice, soak it for 15-20 minutes and drain the water completely.
2. Add the saffron strands and sugar to the milk. Microwave for a minute let it soak while you get the other things done.
3. Heat the ghee/butter in a pan and fry the nuts and dry fruits on low heat.
4. After the nuts turn golden brown and the dry fruits plump up, add the coconut pieces and drained rice.
5. Fry this in the same oil till a nice aroma comes.
6. Add the hot water, kesari powder and orange zest to this.
7. Reduce the flame, cover with a lid and let it cook for 10 minutes. You can also cook everything in a rice cooker.
8. After the rice is 3/4th cooked, add the sweetened milk with saffron strands and cardomom powder.
9. Cover with the lid again and let it cook on very low heat for another 10-15 minutes.
10. By now all the liquid would have been absorbed by the rice and the rice will be fully cooked.
11. Fluff up the rice gently with a fork and switch off. Garnish with grated paneer/khoya and serve.
Whole milk – 1 litre
Rice – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Saffron – a pinch
Green cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Raisins – 15-20
Orange juice – 2 tbsp
mixed nuts – for decorating
1. Soak rice in water for a couple of hours, drain and grind course. Spread it on a cotton sheet to dry up.
2. Let it dry well making sure no lumps are left behind.
3. Soak saffron in 1 tbsp milk and raisins in orange juice.
4. In a heavy bottomed pan bring milk to a boil. Add sugar and rice.
5. Let this mixture thicken. Then add saffron, cardamom powder.
6. Spread raisns over the base of a dish and pour phirni over it.
7. Refrigerate this and serve chill. Decorate with sliced mixed nuts like almonds/pistachios before serving.
Trifle is a very simple and versatile dessert
Pound Cake/Sponge Cake – 1 (cut into slices)
Jam – as needed
Butterscotch Instant Pudding – 1 pkt
Cold Milk – as needed to make the pudding
Whipped cream – 1 box (or as needed)
Assorted fruits and nuts – as needed (app. 2 cups)
- Start by making the pudding according to the package instructions.
2.Keep all the ingredients (that you want to layer) ready before you begin assembling.
3. Place the cake slices in the bottom of a dish. You can sprinkle some sugar syrup on the cake slices if you like moist cake.
4. Now put a layer of jam or fruit preserves over the cake. (Lightly heat the jam before applying to loosen it up.)
5. Pour the prepared pudding over this. (You can also use custard instead.)
6. Top this with a layer of assorted fruits and nuts. You can use any fruits like grapes, peaches, kiwi, strawberry, raspberry, chikoo etc.
7. Put a generous amount of whipped cream over this.
8. Place the assembled trifle in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours so that all the flavours will come together. Overnight refrigeration would be great.
9. Serve chilled.
- 3/4 Cup – Dates/Khajur
- 2 Cups – Milk
- 5 Cups – Water
- 1 tsp – Ghee
- 10-12 – Halved Cashews
- 1/2 tbsp – Raisins
- 1/2 tsp – Fresh Cardamom Powder
- Pit dates and finely chop it. Keep dates outside over night or a day before if you keep dates in fridge.
- In a vessel bring milk to boil and simmer in slow flame until needed.
- While milk getting boiled, in a pan or wok heat ghee and saute cashew nuts and raisins until golden brown keep aside.
- In the same pan add chopped dates and saute for a minute.
- Add boiled milk to dates mixture and bring it to good boil. Add dry fruits, cardamom powder and simmer for 5 minutes in slow flame until payasam/kheer becomes thick.
Rava Ladoo | Sooji Laddu | Ladoo
- 3 Cups – Sooji/Rava/Semolina
- 2 Cups – Sugar
- 2 tbsp – Ghee or Oil
- 1/2 Cup – Desiccated Coconut (optional)
- 3 tbsp – Chopped Cashew-nuts
- 2 tbsp – Raisins
- 1 Cup – Warm Water or Milk
- 1 tsp – Cardamom Powder
- Grind sugar and cardamom seeds into fine powder, keep aside.
- Heat one 1 tbsp ghee or oil in a pan or wok and fry cashewnuts, raisins until golden brown and keep aside.
- Add remaining ghee to kadai (wok) and roast sooji until light brown and aromatic, keep stiriring always so sooji/rava doesn’t get burnt. Allow roasted sooji to cool a bit and grind into fine powder half of roasted sooji.
- Heat water or milk until warm. In a wide bowl add powder sugar, half of roasted sooji, powdered sooji, fried nuts and mix well.
- Take rava mixture, in a bowl warm water, in another bowl cold water and desiccated coconut to start making ladoos. Once rava cool a bit to handle, add little warm water in a portion of rava and mix well. Take a small portion of rava mixture and roll into ladoos, place prepared ladoo over desiccated coconut and roll water to cover all sides of ladoo with coconut. Once all the wet mixture is used, add water in small quantity in another portion of rava, mix and make ladoo, repeat same for rest.
~If the mixture is hot to handle, dip hand in cold water bowl and make ladoo.
Coconut (Nariya) Burfi | Thengai Burfi
2Cups – Fresh Grated Coconut
- 2 Cups – Sugar
- 1/2 tsp – Fresly Crushed Cardamom
- 1/2 tbsp – Chopped Cashewnuts
- 1 tsp – Ghee
Heat ghee in a pan or wok and fry cashewnuts until golden brown, keep aside. Grease a plate or tray and keep aside.
- In the same wok add grated coconut, sugar and mix well and cook in slow to medium flame.
- Keeping stiring the mixture until sugar melts and you can see water released from coconut.
- Do constant stir until coconut mixture starts to come together and leave side of pan. Press coconut with your spatula to check if any water remains, if you see water then keep cooking and stirring.
- Add caradamom/elachi powder, cashewnuts and mix well, you can see coconut mixture will start to change color now from pure white it will be light cream, off flame.
- Immediately pour mixture to greased plate and level it with spatula/knife or butter paper, aluminium foil. (I did it with spatula as I like the rustic look)
- Let the mixture cool a bit for 2-3 minutes and cut in desire shape when it’s stil warm, allow to cool completely and gently with a knife remove the pieces, invert and allow to dry.
Once again plesantlife.com wishes all a very happy RAMDAN. 🙂