Carrot Cake is so simple to make with our easy recipe to make a loaf cake or cupcakes topped with delicious cream cheese frosting. This rich carrot cake is easy to make in your own kitchen.
Ingredients For the carrot cake:
For the carrot cake:
- 175g (6oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 level tsp ground mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml (¼ pint) sunflower oil
- 175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g (3½ oz) raisins
- 250g (8oz) carrots, peeled and grated
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 200g (7oz) cream cheese
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 3-4 level tbsp icing sugar
- Orange and green food colouring
To make the carrot cake: Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the baking powder, spice and salt. Then stir in all the remaining ingredients until well mixed. Pour the mixture into a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment.
- Bake in centre of oven at 180C, gas 4 for about 1 hr, until just firm to the touch in the centre. A skewer should come out clean after being inserted into the middle.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese topping: Beat together the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Add icing sugar to taste.
- Colour a small amount of icing orange and a small amount green, and use to fill a disposable piping bag each. Spread the remaining uncoloured icing over the top of the cake.
Cut the end off the bag with the orange icing to give a small hole, and pipe tapered zigzags, to resemble carrots. Cut the end off the green icing bag into a ‘V’ shape and pipe leaves.