Jackfruit scientific name:Artocarpus heterophyllus
Enormous and prickly on the outside, jackfruit looks somewhat like durian (though jackfruit is usually even larger). Once a jackfruit is cracked open, what you will find inside are pods or ‘bulbs’. Often referred to as the seeds.
Health Benefits of Jackfruit
– Being rich in potassium, jackfruit helps in the lowering of the blood pressure.
– The extract of Jackfruit root is believed to help cure fever as well as diarrhea.
– Jackfruit contains phytonutrients, with health benefits ranging from anti-cancer to antihypertensive.
– Jackfruit root has been found to be beneficial for those suffering from asthma.
– The root of jackfruit is said to be good for the treatment of a number of skin problems.
– Jackfruit has been found to have anti-ageing, antioxidant and anti-ulcer properties.
- Protect from Cancer: Jackfruit is a rich source of antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavonoid that make it highly beneficial to protect from cancer.
- Jackfruit protects from colon, lung and oral cavity cancer.
- Colon Cancer: Jackfruit contains dietary fats which help to clean toxins from the colon. Thus it reduces the effects of toxin in the colon and protect from colon cancer.
- Maintain Blood Pressure: Jackfruit contains good amount of potassium. Potassium is required to maintain sodium level. Also high potassium is required to maintain fluid level i.e. to balance electrolyte. Thus it helps to lower high blood pressure and reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Improve Digestion: Jackfruit contains good amount of dietary fiber which makes it bulk laxative. Thus it improves digestion and prevents constipation.
- Eye Health: Jackfruit contains Vitamin A, As it is a rich source of other antioxidants, thus it is highly effective to prevent degeneration of the retina. So jackfruit protect from cataract and macular degeneration.
- Skin Health and Ageing: Ageing is caused to natural factor like increase in age. jackfruit proves best food to slow the ageing process than natural. Also eating jackfruit keeps skin moisture level high and protect from skin diseases.
- Bone Health: Jackfruit contains high amount of calcium which strengthens and promotes healthy bone. Due to its rich calcium it proves best food to prevent osteoporosis. High potassium decreases the loss of calcium through kidney. So it increases calcium density in bone and strengthens it.
- Anemia:Jackfruit contains vitamins like Vitamin A, C, E, K, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, Vitamin B6 and minerals like copper, manganese and magnesium which are important for blood formation. Also due to rich Vitamin C, jackfruit increases body capacity to absorb iron. Thus it is effective to prevent and cure anemia.
- It is one of the rare fruits that is rich in B-complex group of vitamins. It contains very good amounts of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), niacin, riboflavin, and folic acid.
- Fresh fruit is a good source of potassium, magnesium, manganese, and iron. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
. High in protein:
Jackfruit seeds contain a good amount of protein. This can be added to different dishes that you prepare. You can also replace lentils in your daily diet with jackfruit seeds!
Jackfruit comes loaded with Vitamin A, C, E, K, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic acid, Copper, Manganese and Magnesium that are required for blood formation. This also increases your body’s capacity to absorb iron, thus preventing and curing anemia.
Keeps thyroid healthy:
Copper is vital for thyroid metabolism, especially for hormone production and absorption. Jackfruit is filled with this potent micro mineral and keeps your metabolism rate healthy.
Helps prevent night blindness:
Jackfruit can be very good for your eyes. This ‘jack of all fruits’ contain a good amount of vitamin A and can prevent night blindness.
Jackfruit has strong anti-ulcerative properties that can cure ulcers and many other digestive system disorders.
- Jackfruit serves as an excellent protective agent against viral and bacterial infections due to the presence of Vitamin C in it.
- In addition, this fruit is known to strengthen the immune system by improving the condition of white blood cells.
- Enriched with phytonutrients, like lignans, isoflavones and saponins that contain anti-cancer and anti-ageing properties, jackfruits are beneficial in eliminating cancer-causing free radicals in the body and inhibiting the degeneration of cells.
- Owing to its anti-ulcer agents, jackfruits are known to digestive disorders.
- These fruits are a great source of fiber. This property helps in avoiding constipation and smoothening bowel movements. Besides, jackfruits protect against the colon mucus membrane by eradicating carcinogenic chemicals from the large intestine.
- Being an excellent source of vitamin A, jackfruits monitor the health of the skin and eyes, specifically by keeping vision-related problems, like macular degeneration and night blindness, at bay.
- With simple sugars such as fructose and sucrose present in jackfruit, it is useful in boosting energy levels, without adding fat or cholesterol to the body.
- Magnesium, found in large amounts in jackfruit, absorb calcium in the body and contribute to strengthening of bones and prevention of bone related disorders like osteoporosis.
- Jackfruits play a significant role in thyroid metabolism due to the presence of copper in their flesh, thereby promoting hormone production and absorption.
- The potassium content in jackfruit is useful in lowering blood pressure thus, reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Similar to other fruits and vegetables, jackfruit is also heart-friendly; thanks to the Vitamin B6 that reduces the levels of homocystein in the blood.
- Jackfruit fulfills the iron needs in the body, thereby promoting proper blood circulation and preventing cases of anemia.
- With anti-ageing properties, jackfruits are known to inhibit the degeneration of cells, thereby giving the consumer a younger, suppler and more glowing skin.
- Due to the fact that it has low calories, jackfruits also help in maintaining the body by preventing the deposition of fat and elimination of obesity.
- The roots of jackfruit are extremely beneficial for people suffering from asthma. A concoction prepared by boiling its roots is a good remedy for wheezing and other respiratory problems.
- The extract of jackfruit is known to treat various skin problems, diarrhea and fever.
- It has no cholesterol content.
Selection and storage
In the stores, buy fruit that emits mild yet rich flavor and just yields to thumb pressure. Thorn-like projections becomes soft in case of the ripe fruit. Once ripen, the fruit deteriorates rather quickly unless its processed arils (bulbs) stored inside the refrigerator.
Whatever the fruit is whatever the problem is consulting Doctor is advisable for anyone in every case. With out doctor’s consultation we should not choose anything . This is just an information which can help you and gives you some idea about the particular fruit, this is not a Medical help. So consult your doctor before using any of the above remedies or tips. We are not responsible for any side-effects or other problems.