Friends today we will try a very softy simple delicious sweet…
freshly grated coconut makes better coconut burfi. so to still get better tasting barfi, if you soaked the desiccated coconut in warm milk for about an hour it tastes great .The coconut absorbs the milk and the texture does to some extent becomes like fresh coconut.
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 heaped cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 to 4 cardamoms, crushed to powder in a mortar-pestle
- ½ tsp rose water (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 to 3 tsp ghee
- 1 pinch of saffron, crushed or 2 to 3 pinch of saffron powder (optional)
- 8 to 10 cashews, halved or chopped
Procedure to prepare Coconut Burfi..
- mix warm milk with desiccated coconut. stir well and keep covered for an hour. if using fresh coconut, then no need to soak
- heat ghee in a pan
- add the milk soaked coconut and stir well. saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame
- now pour the condensed milk
- stir and mix well.
- add sugar and stir. optional step. you can skip the sugar completely.
- then add cardamom powder
- stir and continue to cook the coconut burfi mixture
- the mixture would reduce and begun to loose its moisture. continue to stir, so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- continue to cook and stir till you see ghee releasing from the sides. takes about 22 to 25 mins on a low flame
- now add the coconut baufi mixture in a greased thali or tray. here i used a baking pan and managed to get more than half of the pan covered with the coconut burfi. spread it evenly with a spatula keeping ½ to 1 inch of height.
- you can sprinkle some crushed or powdered saffron on top of the coconut burfi. you can also top the burfi with halved or chopped cashews or raisins
- once the coconut burfi has cooled completely, then slice it into squares or diamond o Ball shapes.
- they can also be refrigerated and they stay good for 1 to 2 days.